Read about what our students and faculty have been accomplishing this semester.
Appler, Vivian, PhD Student:
- Southern Humanities Council - "Ana Mendieta's Shadows: Fire Sliuetas in Cold War Americas"
- Pitt-CMU Regional Conference, Mar 31 - 'Waggis! A Theory of Mind and Mask'.
Bisaha, Dave, PhD Student:
- Comparative Drama Conference, Apr 29-31, Baltimore -"Big Props, Big Problems: Exclusion, Loss, and the Journey in Contemporary International Theatre for Teens"
- Director: "One Act," written by Matt Russak. University of Pittsburgh New Play Festival, February 2012.
Buckner, Jocelyn L., Postdoctoral Fellow:
- Mid America Theatre Conference, Mar 1-4 2012, Chicago - "Working Girls: Sister Acts and Representations of the ‘American’ Working Class"
- Facilitated “Reflective Materials: Ensuring Students See Themselves in the Syllabus” as part of the Pitt Center for Instructional Development and Distance Education's "Making Time for Diversity" workshop series.
Costello, Tommy, PhD Candidate:
- American Conference for Irish Studies, Mar 14-17, New Orleans - "The Long Shot: Emigration and the Prospect of Return in Irish Diasporic Film".
- Association for Theatre in Higher Education, August 2-5, Washington, DC - "Staging Sex: The Ins and Outs of Creating Romance on Stage."
Crane, Robert, PhD Canditate:
- Mid America Theatre Conference, Mar 1-4 2012, Chicago - "Actors Playing Workers and Workers Playing Actors: The Blue Blouse Movement and the Performance of Class."
- Comparative Drama Conference, Apr 29-31, Baltimore - "The Simonov Episode: Russian Plays and the American Stage, 1942-1947."
- Book Review, “Elena Siemens. Theatre in Passing: A Moscow Photo-Diary.”Slavic and East European Journal 55.4 (Winter 2011).
De Soto, Rachel, MA/PhD Student:
- Pitt-CMU Regional Conference, Mar 31 - "Re-Shaping the Tragic Chorus: Aztec Myth and Performance in Cherríe Moraga’s The Hungry Woman: A Mexican Medea”
- Dramaturg: "Harvest," written by Manjula Padmanabhan, University of Pittsburgh Repertory Theatre, March 29 - April 7, 2012.
George, Kathleen, Professor:
- Panel: Eat, Place, Write: Creating a Platform for Your Writing Using Setting and/or Food (South Hills Barnes and Noble)
- Speech to PACWC (Provosts Advisory Cte for Women’s Concerns) “My Life in Theatre and Fiction” (University Club)
Good, Kristi, PhD Student:
- American Conference for Irish Studies, Mar 14-17, New Orleans - "Dramatic Commemoration in Sebastian Barry's 'Ghost Plays'".
- American Theatre and Drama Society, May 28-30, Seville, Spain - "Halfway through the journey": Intertextuality and Collective Memory in McCraney's Brother/Sister Plays"
- Workshop, January 2012: "Self Awareness vs. Self Consciousness: The Clinician Role Challenge"
- Workshop, March 2012: "Exploring Archetypes for Character Development"
Jackson-Schebetta, Lisa, Assistant Professor:
- Mid America Theatre Conference, Mar 1-4 2012, Chicago - "The Labor of Confrontation: The 1680 Viceregal Arches of Carlos de Sigüenza y Góngora and Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz"
- Selected to serve as the Theatre History Symposium Chair for MATC in 2013 (St Louis) and 2014 (tba)
- Pitt-CMU Regional Conference, Mar 31 - "La Calle: Forgings of Spain in Margarita Xirgu’s and Cipriano Rivas y Cherif’s Production of Elmer Rice’s Street Scene"
- Hawaii University International Conferences on Arts and Humanities, January, Honolulu - "Teaching Stage Design and Collaboration in a Liberal Arts Environment"
- Pitt-CMU Regional Conference, Mar 31 - "Dragging Mexico: Astrid Hadad's Performance Across Borders"
- Comparative Drama Conference, Apr 29-31, Baltimore - “Paula Vogel: A Child of Feminism and Queer Theory."
- Comparative Drama Conference, Apr 29-31, Baltimore - “Clowning as Performance and Dramaturgy in Two Productions of Godot”
- Director: "Bend Down My Strange Face" by Moira Quigley, in the Pitt Rep's New Play Festival, January 2012
Porterfield, Melissa Ryan, PhD Canditate:
- Mid America Theatre Conference, Mar 1-4 2012, Chicago - "Blue-Collar Bard: Recalling Shakespeare through the Rhetoric of Labor"
- Comparative Drama Conference, Apr 29-31, Baltimore - “Filling the Void: An Exploration of the Empty Stomachs, Empty Wombs, and Empty Graves of Srbljanovic’s Barbelo, on Dogs and Children”
Wood, Peter, PhD Student:
- Comparative Drama Conference, Apr 29-31, Baltimore - "Back(lash) Into the Woods"