Menu

The Richard E. Rauh Studio Theatre

We are very proud and happy to announce that beloved alumni and benefactor, Richard E. Rauh has set up an endowed fund to support the currently named, Studio Theatre and the UP Stages productions. In recognition of his generosity, the Studio Theatre will be renamed the RICHARD E. RAUH STUDIO THEATRE.

We will be hosting a celebration in the fall of 2017~stay tuned for more information!

Mr. Rauh currently has two other endowments here at the University of Pittsburgh, the Richard E. Rauh Teaching Artist-in-Residence and the Dietrich-Rauh Endowed Scholarship for Theatre Arts Students.

Mr. Rauh has been a life long supporter of the arts in Pittsburgh, a passion founded by his parents, Richard S. and Helen Rauh. In 1935, Richard S. Rauh married Helen Wayne. She studied drama at the Carnegie Institute of Technology and after graduating in 1933, she became a founding member of the Pittsburgh Civic Playhouse.  Richard S. Rauh and Helen Wayne, with the help of a committee, re-organized this group into the non-profit Pittsburgh Playhouse in late 1934. Over the following four decades, Helen Wayne Rauh performed in 38 productions at the Pittsburgh Playhouse, in addition to notable work on local radio and television. She also wrote an etiquette column for the Pittsburgh Sun Times.

Richard S. and Helen had one son, Richard Enoch.  Richard E. Rauh followed his mother into acting, starting his career as a child in a 1946 Shady Side Academy production.  In 1962, while in college at the University of Pittsburgh, Rauh was a founder and general manager of WPGH-FM, the first student radio station at the University.  He graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a BA and MA, in English and American Literature.

He performed on stage, film and television, including several acclaimed productions of Neil Simon’s The Last of the Red Hot Lovers and a 1998 production of Krapp’s Last Tape, which is generally considered to be his best performance.

Richard produced the Pittsburgh Playhouse Film Festival until the series ended in 1994. During the first eight years of the series, he featured a different film each night of the year. In 1997 and 1998, he ran a summer film series for the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust at the Byham and worked as a drama reviewer at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette from 1995 to 1999.

Starting about 1998, while continuing his academic and theatrical work, Richard E. Rauh became an active philanthropist, donating to numerous cultural and theatrical organizations around the Pittsburgh area, particularly those institutions with a connection to his family and its history.

His endowments include the Rauh Jewish Archives at the Heinz History Center, the Richard E. Rauh Oral History Fund at the National Council of Jewish Women, Pittsburgh Section, the Helen Wayne Rauh Studio Theater at Carnegie Mellon University, the Rauh Theater at the Pittsburgh Playhouse, the Helen Wayne Rauh Rehearsal Hall at the O’Reilly Theater and the Richard S. Rauh Garden Room at Heinz Hall.

The Theatre Arts Department thanks Mr. Richard E. Rauh for his generous donation and his commitment to the artists, students and performers of our University and city.