Graduate Study in Theatre Arts
The Department of Theatre Arts offers an array of programs that allow graduate students to study theatre in both performance and academic contexts. All faculty members are active in both teaching and artistic or research activities, and the department's lab—the University of Pittsburgh Repertory Theatre—offers a great range of opportunities to act, direct, and design in three separate venues. (For more information on performance spaces, visit the Performance Spaces page.)
The department, founded in 1982, offers a BA, MA, MFA, and PhD in theatre arts. The MA and PhD programs involve students in practical as well as critical, theoretical, and historical education, sustaining our mission of providing the widest-possible spectrum of educational and training opportunities to future scholars and artists.
Who are our current graduate students, and what are they working on?
Find out here.
- Department of Theatre Arts Graduate Handbook
- Information on MA in Theatre & Performance Studies
- Information on MFA in Theatre Pedagogy
- Information on MA/PhD in Theatre & Performance Studies
- Information on PhD in Theatre & Performance Studies