The Department of Theatre Arts extends its deepest sympathy to family, friends, students, and colleagues on the passing of Dr. Po-Hsien Chu, scholar of global Asian theatre and Visiting Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts.
Dr. Po-Hsien Chu
February 8, 2022
Remembrance, Association for Asian Performance
Trained in literary studies, critical theory, theatre history, and performance studies, Po-Hsien Chu (PhD, University of Maryland) specialized in Sinophone theatre and performance cultures, global Asian theatre, and transnational Asian American theatre. His research examined how theatre practitioners and performance artists from Asia/of Asian descent appropriate the avant-garde aesthetics from the West and transform the vanguard expressions into their cultural capital for patronage and visibility. His work has been presented at American Society for Theatre Research, Performance Studies International, Association for Theatre in Higher Education, and Association for Asian Performance. Dr. Chu's article about the aesthetic politics of the Contemporary Legend Theatre’s avant-garde jingju (Peking opera) performance, has been accepted for publication by Asian Theatre Journal.
• Sinophone Theatre and Performance Cultures
• Contemporary Chinese Theatre
• Theatre and Globalization
• Transnational Asian American Theatre
Education & Training
- PhD, Theatre and Performance Studies, University of Maryland (College Park), 2021
- MA, Theatre History and Criticism, University of Illinois (Urbana Champaign), 2015
- MA, English and American Literature, National Kaohsiung Normal University (Taiwan), 2011
- BA, Western Languages and Literatures, National University of Kaohsiung (Taiwan), 2008