PhD in Theatre and Performance Studies
The Doctor of Philosophy program is open to all qualified students who have completed, or will have completed prior to registration, a Master of Arts degree or its equivalent. An MA in theatre arts is not a prerequisite for admission to the program. The department admits some highly qualified students with BAs directly into the PhD program. These students proceed to the highter degree more efficiently, receiving an MA enroute.
International students - The Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences requires a TOEFL score of 90 (with at least a score of 22 in all of the four sections of speaking, listening, reading and writing); or a minimum IELTS of 7.0 (with at least 6.5 in each of its four sections).
PhD Application Material Requirements
- University of Pittsburgh’s on-line application (there is a $50.00 application fee)
- A personal statement indicating your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree at the University of Pittsburgh and your academic and professional goals.
- Official or Unofficial College Transcripts are uploaded with application. After a student is recommended for admission, official copies of all college transcripts will then need to be sent directly from the institution(s) to the Dean’s office before a student can be matriculated.
- Current, official GRE scores (GRE scores cannot be older than 5 years old). These scores must be sent directly from ETS to the University of Pittsburgh. INSITUTIONAL CODE: 2927 DEPARTMENT CODE: 2403
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- Two (2) samples of academic writing.
- Non-US citizens: TOEFL or IELTS scores - this is mandatory and cannot be waived.
The deadline for application is January 15. Apply now »
For questions or information regarding the application process, please contact:
Graduate Student Services Administration
For questions or information regarding the Theatre Arts Graduate Programs, please contact:
Kathleen E. George
Director of Graduate Studies